Menu Fermer

postprocessing

Forums SLIM users forum postprocessing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Emmanuel Hanert
    Keymaster

This topic deals with all the issues related to the model results postprocessing.

Ruth Patterson

Hi, I’m trying to compute tidal components using the GitLab page example. The FS.fourier_at_point command returns this error.

================= Start Reading Files =================
    Reading file output/eta/eta-000100.idx …
    Fatal : Unable to open import file ‘output/eta/eta-000100.idx’

I understand this is because my ‘output’ folder and file structure is different to the one that is inbuilt. However there doesn’t seem to be a way to change it. My ‘output’ file contains partitioned components of each iteration. E.g for the 10th iteration:

‘slim_0010_00000.vtu’
    ‘slim_0010_00001.vtu’
    ‘slim_0010_00002.vtu’
    …etc…

What type of processing do I have to do to get ‘eta-000100.idx’? Can I use an ‘eta-000100.txt’ which is output from the export time series script?
    Is there a way to change the file name (‘eta-000100’) and directory (output/eat/) if I stored eta time series elsewhere?

My script is below (please feel free to recommend any other changes – I’m not sure if the period and time-frame nominated below is sensible. My only other experience is using t-tides in matlab and this requires 1 month of time series eta data) :

import slimPost

data_dir_base = ‘data_7/’
    mesh = data_dir_base+ »/0/mesh.msh »
    path_input = « output/ »

#Fourier Series
    initial_index = 100
    final_index = 148 # 12 hour period
    initial_time = 90000 #init =100. 15 min timesteps. 100/4=25. 25 h *3600 s = 90000
    n_period = 1
    n_iter = 200
    n = 5 #number of components to compute
    period = 21600

FS = slimPost.Fourier_series(mesh, path_input, initial_index, final_index, initial_time, n_period, n_iter, n, period)

x = 235292
    y = 8719371

iComp = 1

FS.fourier_at_point(x, y, fig_name = « test », variable= »eta ») #script stops here
    FS.fourier_map(iComp, « eta », « Range », « Phase »)

Valentin Vallaeys

Dear Ruth,

You are right, there was a missing argument in the Fourier_series function in order to use your outputs.
    We have updated the code. The only change you have to make in your script is replacing this line

FS = slimPost.Fourier_series(mesh, path_input, initial_index, final_index, initial_time, n_period, n_iter, n, period)

by the following ones:

format_input = "vtk"
    FS = slimPost.Fourier_series(mesh, path_input, format_input, initial_index, final_index, initial_time, n_period, n_iter, n, period)

Otherwise, your script seems OK. I would just set n_period = 2 as you set the period as 6h and the time frame is 12h.

Best,
    Valentin

Ruth Patterson
    Participant

Thanks Valentin, it works.

Ruth Patterson
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to sum the u v current components across the whole domain for a range of different time periods (say, 2 weeks, 1 month etc).

My model output are partitioned (for up to 16 cores) and the output format is .vtu.

Is there something already built for this?

Cheers, Ruth

jonathan
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    The easiest solution is probably to do it directly in paraview. You can achieve this using two filters :
    – Temporal->Extract Time Steps : to extract the time period you want.
    – Temporal->Temporal Statistics : to compute the mean value (and optionaly min, max, and stddev) over the extracted time period.
    After that use File->Save Data to save the result.
    Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jodie Schlaefer
    Participant

Hello,

I was just wondering what the default value of 2e^-4 m^0.85 /s for the coefficient of the Okubo scheme in the slimPost.create_okubo_map function is derived from?
    Does it come directly from Okubo (1971)? If not, can you please provide a reference?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Jodie,

Sorry for the late reply.

It comes from the original paper of Okubo. He gave K = 0.0103 l^1.15 [cm^2/s].
    Converting cm in m, it gives : 0.0103 cm^0.85/s = 2.0551e^-4 m^0.85/s.

Cheers,
    Valentin

Jodie Schlaefer
    Participant

Awesome, thanks Valentin!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.